Legal Operations Associate - Regulatory and Compliance
Via is looking for an exceptionally smart and motivated non-lawyer to join its legal team as we look to rapidly grow our business domestically and internationally and continue to launch new cities around the world.
As a Legal Operations Associate on the Regulatory and Compliance team, you will be working closely with a small team of highly dedicated and dynamic lawyers who are graduates of the country’s top law schools and alums of elite law firms. You will gain hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup. This role reports to the Head of Litigation and Regulatory Counsel.
- Manage the end-to-end process for background checks of independent contractor driver partners, including first line review, escalations and adverse action processes.
- Leverage information provided through third party background check provider’s portal to review and update policies and procedures to ensure compliance with requirements under the law.
- Develop training materials for operations teams in various jurisdictions regarding local regulatory requirements.
- Correspond with regulatory agencies, lobbyists, outside legal counsel, and internal stakeholders regarding various compliance matters.
- Monitor and respond to subpoenas and requests for information from third parties and regulators.
- Develop working knowledge of internal databases and systems in order to pull and extract insights from data in making decisions in a wide variety of contexts.
- Oversee compliance audits and coordinate related activities across organization.
- Manage insurance claims, corresponding with insurance carriers and brokers as needed.
- Provide legal team operational support and assist with special projects, as assigned.
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail.
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on projects of all types, big and small.
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry.
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development.
- A positive can-do attitude, good judgment, and the ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational and communication skills and an eagerness to help others.
- 4-year degree from a top-tier university - this is a non-attorney role, though we would consider a recent college graduate interested in attending law school in the future.
- 1-3 years professional work (or work-study) experience. Experience with startups is a bonus but not required. An analytical mindset is necessary, although prior legal experience is not.
- Experience with analytical tools such as Tableau is a plus.
Via offers highly competitive compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, a flexible vacation policy, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.