Head of Legal - Via-Daimler European Joint Venture
Via, the world’s leading on-demand shared rides technology developer and provider, and Daimler (Mercedes-Benz), the world’s preeminent automotive company, have launched a joint venture to transform the way people move around cities. This joint venture will launch on-demand shared mobility services in Europe using Via’s revolutionary technology and lead the cooperation to design and build transformative mobility technology with both the Via and Mercedes-Benz Vans teams.
We’re looking for entrepreneurs who are excited to build the future of transit; imaginative thinkers who relish wearing multiple hats and never back down from a challenge. We want people who get things done.
We’re unusually selective in our hiring process. If you have a record of exceptional achievement, take intense pride in your work, and want to join a world-class team, we’d love to talk to you.
As Head of Legal, you’ll be the legal backbone of the joint venture. You will be the resident expert on regulation, IP, data security, commercial deals and licensing partnerships, and policy. You’ll be responsible for ensuring legal compliance and limiting risk exposure where necessary. This role requires a combination of intelligence, creativity, and leadership that few possess. You’ll need to be a compliance expert, tactful communicator, and an exceptionally creative problem solver.
- Provide effective and strategic advice to the company, its executives and its board of directors regarding litigation risks, corporate transactions, partnerships, regulatory, governance and other legal and compliance matters
- Formulate, implement and manage internal governance policies to ensure global regulatory and legal compliance, including anti-corruption, data privacy and security, GDPR and corporate governance
- Serve as the resident expert on local regulations, help the joint venture obtain licenses to operate throughout Europe, and build strong relationships with regulators and lawmakers across Europe
- Draft, review and negotiate agreements with major partners, customers and vendors
- Develop relationships with and manage outside counsel
- Collaborate across the company – including working with the Via and Daimler senior legal teams – on a broad range of internal and external policy matters
- Structure complex deals and contracts in a quickly evolving business and regulatory landscape
- Work on emerging insurance issues, labor law in the sharing economy, Intellectual property (patent and trademark issues), information security and data privacy issues applicable to tech startups generally and the ridesharing space specifically
- Manage a range of complex legal matters while continuously reshuffling priorities to ensure deadlines are appropriately handled
- Work closely with the Via and Daimler senior legal teams and gain hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a growing startup benefiting from the support of two industry leaders
- A savvy and tactful communicator: you intuitively find the right tone in every situation
- An excellent writer: you can draft a contract in plain English and present complex legal issues clearly and succinctly.
- Enjoy taking charge; willing to wear multiple hats and work on projects of all types
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry
- A skilled negotiator: you identify key deal terms and ensure they’re reflected in the contract
- A problem solver: you never accept the status quo and are always looking for creative solutions
- A no-nonsense thinker: you have sound business sense and make data-driven decisions
- A shape-shifter: you’re comfortable jumping into multiple types of projects across the company
- A forward-thinker: you can tackle issues in the moment while still anticipating future needs
- An extremely quick study: you can rapidly pick up unfamiliar material and participate as an equal in discussions with subject-matter experts
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development
- LLB, J.D., or equivalent from a top-tier university; LL.M. and 4-7 years experience at a top law firm; in-house legal department or a combination of the two; and ideally admitted to practice law in at least one E.U. member state
- Experience with startups or prior in-house experience is a bonus but not required
- Data privacy, security, licensing or intellectual property experience preferred
- Fluency in English a must; additional EU language a plus
- Based in, or willing to relocate to, Amsterdam
The Via-Daimler joint venture is an equal opportunity employer.